Friday, February 20, 2009

Whirl of Green

I read an article in Fast Company magazine, February 2009 edition, by Melanie Warner called Gust of Hope. The article informed me of a town, Sweetwater, Texas, that runs power using the wind. I think this is so cool! I have heard of solar energy and going green but I was not aware an entire town could run just because the wind blows. Even better, the farmer that was interviewed, Jon Bergstrom, tells of how much of a tax break the residents within this town get due to the alternate form of electricity. Now that I know this is possible, I definitely feel that the government needs to start looking into implementing some alternate power sources. We are trying to make all these cuts and stimulate the economy but we continue to do what has already been tried and it never has worked and is not going to magically fix things. Alternate power sources would be a permanent fix to the problem. In saying all of this, I understand a plan such as this one would take a long period of time to completely implement but what is the harm in beginning to research how it could work, and how much money could be saved. Not to mention all the environmental problems that could be eliminated with such new developments. All I'm saying is that it's worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment