After reading Luluemon's Cult of Selling in Fast Company's April 2009 issue, I learned of a brand of clothing specifically targeted to yoga participants. I have never taken a yoga class, but I am an avid gym goer. Having never heard of this brand, I am intrigued by its supporters. The owner of this company has not just made a label of clothing, but a whole society, out of a tank top. It starts with purchasing clothes and ends in taking seminars to better your life. I definitely see the emergence of a cult via this brand, but who's to say its a bad thing? At least the goal of the company is to better the life of its followers. No harm is being done by luring people into a lifestyle that makes them feel good about themselves, as long as the company stays honest about its intentions.
I don't know that I agree with the company's intentions of branching out to swimwear and running wear. I think the company found its niche with yoga wear and it is sending the message that they are more interested in adding profits than to staying loyal to its yoga market. This aspect has the possibility to turn some of its followers off and shedding a negative light on the company. My advice, stick with what you know.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment